Veal Scallopini with Marsala
Author: Diabetes Comfort Food by Johanna Burkhard
Recipe type: Entrees
Cuisine: Northern Italian
An elegant and easy to prepare dish with veal or pork; Low fat.
- 1 lb Thin veal or pork cutlets
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- ⅓ cup minced shallots
- ¾ cup assorted mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster and button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ cup dry Marsala or white wine
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Blot veal dry with paper towels.
- Season with salt and pepper; dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon each butter and oil over high heat
- Cook veal in two batches, 1 minute per side or until lightly browned.
- Add remaining butter and oil for second batch. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook shallots, mushrooms and thyme, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add Marsala and broth; cook for 2 minute or until slightly reduced.
- Return veal to skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, turning occasionally, until heated through and coated in sauce. Adjust seasoning with pepper to taste.
Calories: 238 Fat: 7g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 13g Sodium: 450mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 27g Cholesterol: 94mg