Vanilla Dolce Soufflé
Author: 1,001 Delicious Desserts for People with Diabetes by Sue Spitler with Linda Eugene, R.D., C.D.E., , and Linda R. Yoakam, R.D., M.S
Recipe type: Desserts
Not for everyday, this souffle is perfect for entertaining and has a couple of variations. Low fat.
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1 tsp rum extract
- ¼ cup finely chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1 vanilla bean (about 4 in. long)
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 6 egg whites
- Pinch salt
- Note: For the purest vanilla flavor, use a whole vanilla bean as the recipe. directs. The pod can be buried in a jar of sugar to make vanilla sugar for baking, sprinkling over fruit, or sweetening beverages. Two teaspoons vanilla can be substituted for the vanilla bean: add it after cooking the egg yolk mixture.
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar, divided
- Grease a 1½ quart soufflé dish; sprinkle lightly with sugar. Refrigerate dish.
- Sprinkle rum over candied fruit; let stand 5 minutes.
- Split vanilla bean lengthwise; scrape seeds into milk in small saucepan.
- Heat over low heat until simmering.
- Beat egg yolks and granulated sugar in small bowl until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour.
- Whisk half the warm milk into egg mixture
- Whisk egg and milk mixture into saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until boiling and thickened.
- Stir in candied fruit mixture.
- Beat egg whites and salt in large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Add 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, and continue beating to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in egg yolk mixture.
- Carefully spoon into prepared dish.
- Bake at 400ºF 20 minutes or until soufflé is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, and serve immediately.
- Variations: Ginger-Orange Soufflé – Make recipe as above, omitting candied fruit, rum, and vanilla bean. Simmer milk with 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger; strain before adding to yolks. Stir ¼ cup chopped crystallized ginger and 1 tablespoon. grated orange rind into cooked egg yolk mixture (see above).
- Rum Raisin Soufflé – Make recipe as above as above, omitting vanilla, substituting ½ cup chopped golden raisins for the candied fruit, increasing rum to ¼ cup or 1 to 2 teaspoons rum extract and adding ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg.
Calories: 153 Fat: 2.7g Saturated fat: .8g Carbohydrates: 24.2g Sodium: 80mg Fiber: n/a Protein: 6.6g Cholesterol: 107.2mg