Turkey Sloppy Joes
Author: Duke Diet and Fitness Center Cookbook, Spring ’05 Cookbook By Duke University Diet & Fitness Center
Recipe type: Lunch
A rich and spicy “joe” made with low fat turkey! Kids love it; Low fat; Low sodium; Low cholesterol.
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey breast
- ½ cup ketchup (no salt added)
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ⅓ cup dark corn syrup
- ½ cup green pepper, diced
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup no salt added tomatoes with juice, chopped
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, stir together molasses and chili powder.
- Whisk in the tomatoes, vinegar, ketchup, corn syrup, water and orange juice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In separate pan sauté ground turkey until it is no longer pink.
- Add onions, peppers, salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking until vegetables soften slightly.
- Add sauce to meat mixture, reduce to low heat and simmer until thick.
- Serve on whole wheat bun
*The Duke Diet and Fitness Center’s meals are low in calories, fat and sodium, but high in taste. The Center’s meals have a daily total of approximately 1,500 mg of sodium. The USDA 2005 dietary guidelines for Americans is to consume less than 2,300 mg of sodium.
Calories: 150 Fat: 5g Carbohydrates: 2g Sodium: * Fiber: 0g Protein: 4g Cholesterol: *