Author: Meals Matter; Martha Stewart Kids Magazine
Recipe type: Appetizers & Snacks
A good way to sneak in vegetables for a snack or appetizer! Kids can help make it; Low carbohydrate; Low Sodium.
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 cups fresh shelled peas or one 10-oz package frozen peas, thawed
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 8 cups canola oil
- Sift together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and paprika into a medium mixing bowl.
- Pour eggs into flour mixture, and whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Fold in cottage cheese and peas.
- In another medium mixing bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form, and fold into flour and egg mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat canola oil until a deep fry thermometer registers 360.
- Drop dough 1 heaping tablespoon at a time into hot oil and fry about 3 minutes, turning as needed, until golden all over and cooked through.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a large paper towel lined plate; sprinkle with salt while still hot, and let cool slightly before serving.
** Cooking Time: 3-4 minutes per tablespoon of dough. Also, if using fresh peas, blanch them in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes, then drain well and pat dry before adding to batter. Thawed frozen peas can be added without additional cooking.
Serving size: 3 dozen Calories: 413 Fat: 44g Saturated fat: 4g Unsaturated fat: 13g Carbohydrates: 3g Sodium: 82mg Fiber: 0g Protein: 2g