Mild Pea and Sweet Potato Curry
Author: Recipe courtesy of Peas.org
Recipe type: Entrees
This rich and spicy curry can be made totally vegan by substituting vegetable broth. Low Sodium; Vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound sweet potato, peeled and cut into two inch cubes
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 inch piece root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoon mild curry powder or paste
- 1 14 - 15 oz can tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- sea salt and black pepper
- ½ bag frozen peas
- Juice ½ lemon
- Heat the oil in a large casserole or deep frying pan.
- Add the sweet potato and red onion and fry for 5 - 10 minutes, until the vegetables are starting to color.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant
- Add the ground cumin and curry and cook, stirring constantly, for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and blend in the stock.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper and bring to the boil.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring regularly and topping up with extra stock if necessary, until the sweet potato has softened and is cooked through.
- Stir in the frozen peas and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning and add the lemon juice.
- Stir through the chopped coriander
Serve with steamed basmati rice, warm naan bread, yogurt and chutney.
Calories: 600 Fat: 8g Carbohydrates: 35g Sugar: 13g Sodium: 4mg Fiber: 7g Protein: 7g