Grilled Chicken Breasts with Tomato Basil Salsa
Author: Meals Matter
Recipe type: Entrees
A quick, spicy grilled chicken recipe for the outdoor grill or in a grill pan on the stove. Quick to Prepare (under 30 minutes); Low Calorie; Low Fat; Low Sodium.
- Tomato-Basil Salsa:
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon minced Serrano peppers or jalapeno peppers (optional); wear plastic gloves when handling
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- Chicken and Marinade:
- ½ cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 lb.)
- To make the tomato-basil salsa: In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, scallions, basil, oil, vinegar, peppers (if using) and sugar (if using).
- Cover and refrigerate while preparing the chicken.
- To make the chicken and marinade: Combine the tomato juice, garlic and oil in a shallow bowl large enough to hold the chicken.
- Place the chicken in the bowl and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade.
- While the chicken is marinating, coat an unheated grill rack with no-stick spray. Light the grill according to the manufacturer’s directions. Place the rack on the grill.
- Place the chicken on the rack and grill 4″ to 6″ from the heat for 6-8 minutes, or until cooked through, turning once. Serve topped with salsa.
If the weather’s not conducive for outdoor grilling, use a grill pan or a small electric grill inside to cook the chicken.
Calories: 185 Fat: 6.5g Carbohydrates: 4.7g Sodium: 101mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 26g