Author: Cook Once, Eat For A Week by Jyl Steinback, America's Healthiest Mom
Recipe type: Appetizers & Snacks
Make ahead; Low calorie; Low fat; Low cholesterol
- 1½ lbs. eggplant
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 tbsp. vegetable broth, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¾ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with roasted garlic, drained well
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Cut eggplant into 1 inch slices and arrange on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle eggplant with garlic powder and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until soft.
- Cool slightly; peel and chop eggplant.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Add 3 tablespoons broth and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add bell pepper, and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add chopped eggplant and additional vegetable broth (if needed).
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and pepper.
- Remove from heat and mix well.
- Transfer eggplant mixture to bowl or container; cover and refrigerate up to 5 days.
- Serve with crackers, pita crisps or cucumber slices.
This is a very different dip for crackers or crudites packed full of veggies.
Calories: 79 Fat: .6g Carbohydrates: 18g Sodium: 326mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg