Chili Con Carne
Author: America's Best Cookbook for Kids with Diabetes by Colleen Bartley
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 12 oz extra-lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup diced onions
- ¼ cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 can (19 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp salt
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often, until browned and crumbly.
- Add garlic, onions and green peppers and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, until garlic is fragrant and onions begin to soften.
- Stir in kidney beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cocoa, sugar, vinegar, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes or for up to 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
- Add ¼ cup water if chili becomes too thick.
Calories: 400 Fat: 14g Saturated fat: 5g Carbohydrates: 43g Sodium: 589mg Fiber: 11g Protein: 28g Cholesterol: 48mg