Author: Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Potato Soup is a favorite comfort food. The addition of sweet potatoes and buttermilk makes this delicious soup nutritious too!
- 1 large sweet potato (yam), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes or 1 (15oz.) can sweet potatoes
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons Lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- In a large pot, combine sweet potato, baking potato, onion, garlic, bay leaf, salt, thyme, cayenne and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Pour mixture into food processor and blend until smooth; return to pot.
- Add buttermilk, skim milk and lime juice. Cook over low heat until heated through; do not boil.
- Sprinkle cilantro on each serving, if desired.
Calories: 99 Fat: 0.6g Carbohydrates: 8.9g Sodium: 257mg Protein: 4.7g