Three Cheese Black Bean Chili with Cheddar Crust
Author: Meals Matter
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
This hearty chili can be served in a big cast iron pot you set right on your grill, or spooned on grilled favorites to make chili cheeseburgers and dogs.
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 Large onions, diced
- 3 Medium carrots, chopped
- 2 Ribs celery, sliced
- 3 Small jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- ¼ cup Tomato
- 1 tablespoon Chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seed
- 1 28-ounce Cans crushed tomatoes
- 6-12 ounces Dark beer or tomato juice
- 2 cups Cooked or canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Saute onions in butter over medium high heat in large saucepan until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, cocoa powder, and cumin, and cook until mixture carmalizes to a dark brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery and jalapenos and stir to coat.
- Add crushed tomatoes and beans.
- Stir in beer to our preferred consistency.
- Simmer for at least an hour, up to 2 hours.
- Preheat broiler.
- Ladle chili into broiler proof container.
- Stir mozzarella and Monterey jack cheese into chili and top with shredded cheddar.
- Broil until cheese is bubbly, about 4 minutes.
- If transporting, cover and wrap in thick towels.
- Grill to reheat if necessary.
Calories: 316 Fat: 17g Saturated fat: 10g Unsaturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 26g Sodium: 436mg Fiber: 8g Protein: 17g