Sweet Potato Apple Muffins
Author: LA Sweet Potato Commission, Holly Clegg Spokesman
Recipe type: Breads
You get an extra nutritional bonus with this recipe because it also includes 2 whole grains! Low calorie.
- ¾ cup oat bran
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup apples, skinless, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed or 1 15 oz can sweet potatoes drained and mashed
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- ⅔ Cup Plain Yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine bran, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and apples.
- Add sweet potatoes, egg, egg whites, oil, and yogurt. Stir all ingredients thoroughly.
- Spray muffin tins with vegetable cooking spray and spoon ¼ cup of batter per muffin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Variation: Add 1 cup of raisins
Calories: 98 Fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 18g Sodium: 119mg Protein: 4g Cholesterol: 11mg