Author: Supermarket Gourmet by Jyl Steinback, America’s Healthiest Mom
Recipe type: Appetizers & Snacks
Another example of how cooking from scratch is easy, tasty and better for you than manufactured food. Low fat; Low cholesterol; Low calories
- 24 large white mushrooms
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions
- 1½ teaspoon roasted minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon each dried oregano, rosemary, thyme and sage
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
- ¼ cup grated nonfat Parmesan cheese
- Wipe mushrooms clean with paper towels.
- Carefully remove stems; finely chop and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line baking sheet(s) with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Arrange mushroom caps on baking sheet(s).
- Spray medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Add green onions, garlic and vinegar to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened.
- Add mushroom stems, water and herbs.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until mushroom stems are softened.
- Add spinach and cook until liquid has evaporated, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Carefully stuff mushroom caps with spinach mixture, pressing mixture to pack compactly.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle mushroom caps with Parmesan cheese and bake 5 to 6 minutes, until cheese is lightly browned.
Calories: 55 Fat: .4g Carbohydrates: 11g Sodium: 480mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 0mg