Spinach, Mushroom and Carrot Salad
Author: Diabetes Comfort Food by Johanna Burkhard
Recipe type: Salads
An easy to prepare salad brimming with antioxidants. Low calorie; Low fat; Low cholesterol.
- 1 pkg (10 oz) fresh baby spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1½ cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups peeled shredded carrots
- 1½ cups seedless cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup dark raisins
- Dressing Ingredients:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a serving bowl, layer one-third of the chopped spinach, all the sliced mushrooms, another one-third of the spinach, all of the shredded carrots, then remaining spinach.
- Layer cucumbers, onion and raisins, over top. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Dressing: In a bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, honey, mustard, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper. Just before serving, drizzle over salad and toss gently.
Calories: 122 Fat: 7g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 14g Sodium: 220mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg