Spiced Fruit Stuffed Apples
Author: Dawn’s Vault
Recipe type: Desserts
Easy to prepare; Kids love it; Kids can help.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 medium cooking apples (Jonathan, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, etc)
- ¼ cup cranberries, fresh or dried, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons vanilla yogurt, optional
- 1 quart water
- ¼ cup currents or raisins
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup apple cider or apple juice
- sprinkle of cinnamon for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine water and lemon juice; set aside.
- Prepare apples. Working with one apple at a time, slice ½ inch from the stem end and remove core; use a paring knife or apple corer. From the cut edge of each apple, peel away a ½ inch strip. Place each prepared apple in lemon-water; cut side down, to prevent browning, until ready to stuff.
- In a medium bowl, combine currents, cranberries, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Drain apples.
- Stuff each apple with spiced fruit mixture.
- Place apples in a greased 8×8-inch baking dish. Pour apple cider over apples.
- Bake 350degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Serve warm with a little concentrated apple cider or juice from the bottom of the pan.
- Top each apple with 1- tablespoon vanilla yogurt or cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired. For smaller serving, cut each apple in half and garnish.
Calories: 213 Fat: 6g Saturated fat: 4g Carbohydrates: 44g Sugar: 40g Fiber: 4g Cholesterol: 15mg