Southwestern Black Bean Cakes with Guacamole
Author: Meals Matter Better Homes & Gardens
Recipe type: Entrees
Terrific “burgers” topped with guacamole for a nutritious entree or appetizer.
- 2 slices Whole wheat bread, torn
- 3 tablespoons Fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 (15-ounce) can Black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (7-ounce) can Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 large egg
- ½ Medium avocado, seeded and peeled
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 1 Small plum tomato
- 1 bag Baked tortilla chips (optional)
- 1 Medium orange, cut into wedges (optional)
- Place torn bread in a food processor bowl or blender container.
- Cover and process or blend until bread resembles coarse crumbs.
- Transfer crumbs to a large bowl and set aside.
- Next, process or blend cillantro and garlic until finely chopped.
- Add beans, 1 of the chipotle peppers, 1 to 2 teaspoons of the adobo sauce (reserve remaining peppers and sauce for another use), and cumin.
- Process or blend using on/off pulses until beans are coarsely chopped and mixture begins to pull away from sides.
- Add mixture to bread crumbs in bowl. Add egg; mix well and shape into four ½-inch-thick patties.
- Grill patties on the lightly greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until patties are heated through, turning once.
- Meanwhile, for guacamole, in small bowl mash avocado. Stir in lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve patties with guacamole and tomato.
- If desired, for burger baskets, place the bean cakes on a bed of purchased baked tortilla chips in a lined basket or bowl and garnish with orange wedges.
Make-Ahead Tip: Up to 24 hours in advance, prepare guacamole, cover, and refrigerate.
Calories: 178 Fat: 7g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 25g Sodium: 478mg Fiber: 9g Protein: 11g