South of the Border Chowder
Author: Meals Matter Readers Digest Quick & Delicious Cookbook
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Frozen or canned corn may be used or in summer, try it using fresh corn cut right off the cob.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 small zucchini, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- ¼ cup canned chopped green chilies
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 oz Monterey Jack cheese, coarsely grated (1/2 cup)
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over moderate heat.
- Add onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour until well mixed.
- Stir in broth, zucchini, corn, chilies, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add milk; stirring frequently, heat the soup over moderate heat until it is hot but not boiling.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with an equal amount of grated cheese.
- Serve immediately
Calories: 238 Fat: 11g Saturated fat: 7g Unsaturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 26g Sodium: 421mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 10g