Skillet Pork Stew
Author: America’s Complete Diabetes Cookbook Edited by Katherine E. Younker, MBA, RD, Certified Diabetes Educator
Recipe type: Entrees
- 1 lb lean pork
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (approx.)
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup apple juice or water
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp vinegar
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 carrots, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 2 apples, peeled and quartered
- 5 small potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Cut pork into 1 inch cubes.
- In bag, combine flour, salt and pepper; add pork and shake to coat. Set aside. In large skillet, heat half of the oil over low heat; cook onion for 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
- Heat remaining oil medium-high heat; brown pork, in batches if necessary and adding more oil if needed.
- Add to bowl.
- Pour apple juice into skillet; bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan.
- Stir in mustard, vinegar and thyme.
- Return pork and onion to skillet.
- Add garlic, carrots and apples; cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes; cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in peas; cook for 5 minutes.
Calories: 424 Fat: 14g Saturated fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 47g Sodium: 250mg Fiber: 5g Protein: 28g Cholesterol: 68mg