Shrimp and Lime Tostadas
Author: Meals Matter Bon Appetit
Recipe type: Appetizers & Snacks
These mini tostadas make terrific appetizers.
- 9 5- to 6-inch corn tortillas, each cut into 6 wedges
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 3 Garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon Cumin seeds
- 1½ lbs Uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 3½ teaspoons Finely grated lime peel
- 6 tablespoons Fresh lime juice
- 6 tablespoons Plain nonfat yogurt
- 6 tablespoons Chopped fresh cilantro
- 2½ teaspoons Minced seeded serrano or jalapeno chili
- Preheat oven to 325. Place tortilla wedges in single layer on 2 large baking sheets. Bake until crisp, turning once, about 30 minutes. Cool on baking sheet.
- Spray small baking dish with oil spray. Add garlic; cover with foil. Bake until tender, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly. Peel garlic; mash in small bowl.
- Heat small skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Grind in spice grinder or in mortar with pestle. Add to garlic.
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Add shrimp and lime peel and cook until shrimp are opaque, about 3 minutes. Drain shrimp and lime peel in fine strainer. Cool. Coarsely chop shrimp. Transfer shrimp and lime peel to bowl.
- (Tortillas, garlic mixture and shrimp can be made 1 day ahead. Store tortillas in airtight containers at room temperature. Chill garlic mixture and shrimp separately.)
- Add lime juice, yogurt, chopped cilantro, chili and garlic mixture to shrimp. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon atop tortilla chips and serve.