150 153rd Ave,
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
RatatouilleServes 4 - 6
The real keys to making this recipe perfection are
two-fold: use the freshest of ingredients (perfect for gardeners) especially
the herbs (no substituting dried for this recipe) and use a preparation tip
that I got from America's Test kitchen so I hope they don't get mad at me for
1. Cut eggplant and zucchini into one inch cubes, salt lightly, let stand for 30 - 60 minutes, then rinse and pat dry.
(This is the America's Test Kitchen trick)
2. Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees
3. Toss eggplant and zucchini in 2 tablespoons of olive oil
4. Spread on baking sheet in single layer
5. Roast for 30 - 40 minutes stirring every 10 minutes or so until brown and tender
6. Set aside
(I had never thought about it until I discovered ATK's method but the eggplant and the zucchini take a lot longer to cook then the other items and a stove top method yielded a mushier texture even when the other ingredients were added later in the cooking. So this way you get the full flavors enhanced by roasting -- but you do have to wash an extra pan or two!
7. In a heavy bottomed sauce pan or Dutch oven heat olive oil
8. Add onions and cook until golden brown stirring frequently so they don't stick to the bottom of the pan
9. Add minced garlic and cook until you can just smell the garlic
10. Stir in tomatoes (cored and chopped - some folks like to peel their tomatoes but a little skin doesn't bother me)
11. Cook for about 5 minutes or until they start to release their juices
12. Gently add in the eggplant and zucchini until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined
13. Cook until just heated all the way through
14. Add parsley, basil and thyme
15. Sample - Adjust seasonings and add salt and pepper to taste
Serve with a crusty French or Italian bread and glass of wine.
This provides almost an entire day's servings of vegetables in one dish from a wide palate of colors (purple, red, white, green or yellow) so enjoy the bounty of summer!
Join us on Facebook
Send your unopened, unexpired diabetes testing supplies to:
Defeat Diabetes Foundation