150 153rd Ave,
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
Turkey Sloppy Joes
Source: Duke Diet and Fitness Center Cookbook, Spring '05 Cookbook
A rich and spicy "joe" made with low fat turkey!
Number of Servings: 8
Kids love it
1 lb. lean ground turkey breast
˝ cup ketchup (no salt added)
˝ cup onion, diced
1/3 cup dark corn syrup
˝ cup green pepper, diced
˝ cup water
1 tablespoon molasses
˝ cup orange juice
2 teaspoon chili powder
˝ teaspoon salt
1 cup no salt added tomatoes with juice, chopped
˝ teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, stir together molasses and chili powder.
2. Whisk in the tomatoes, vinegar, ketchup, corn syrup, water and orange juice.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. In separate pan sauté ground turkey until it is no longer pink.
5. Add onions, peppers, salt and pepper.
6. Continue cooking until vegetables soften slightly.
7. Add sauce to meat mixture, reduce to low heat and simmer until thick.
8. Serve on whole wheat bun
*The Duke Diet and Fitness Center's meals are low in calories, fat and sodium, but high in taste. The Center's meals have a daily total of approximately 1,500 mg of sodium. The USDA 2005 dietary guidelines for Americans is to consume less than 2,300 mg of sodium.
Updated September 9, 2013
Join us on Facebook
Send your unopened, unexpired diabetes testing supplies to:
Defeat Diabetes Foundation