150 153rd Ave,
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
Vanilla Dolce Soufflé
Source: 1,001 Delicious Desserts for People with Diabetes
by Sue Spitler with Linda Eugene, R.D., C.D.E., , and Linda R. Yoakam, R.D., M.S.
Not for everyday, this souffle is perfect for entertaining and has a couple of variations.
Number of servings: 6
Note: For the purest vanilla flavor, use a whole vanilla bean as the recipe. directs. The pod can be buried in a jar of sugar to make vanilla sugar for baking, sprinkling over fruit, or sweetening beverages. Two teaspoons vanilla can be substituted for the vanilla bean: add it after cooking the egg yolk mixture.
1. Grease a 1½ quart soufflé dish; sprinkle lightly with sugar. Refrigerate dish.
2. Sprinkle rum over candied fruit; let stand 5 minutes.
3. Split vanilla bean lengthwise; scrape seeds into milk in small saucepan.
4. Heat over low heat until simmering.
5. Beat egg yolks and granulated sugar in small bowl until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes.
6. Stir in flour.
7. Whisk half the warm milk into egg mixture
8. Whisk egg and milk mixture into saucepan.
9. Heat over medium heat until boiling and thickened.
10. Stir in candied fruit mixture.
11. Beat egg whites and salt in large bowl until soft peaks form.
12. Add 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, and continue beating to stiff peaks.
13. Gently fold in egg yolk mixture.
14. Carefully spoon into prepared dish.
15. Bake at 400ºF 20 minutes or until soufflé is golden brown.
16. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, and serve immediately.
Variations: Ginger-Orange Soufflé - Make recipe as above, omitting candied fruit, rum, and vanilla bean. Simmer milk with 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger; strain before adding to yolks. Stir ¼ cup chopped crystallized ginger and 1 tablespoon. grated orange rind into cooked egg yolk mixture (see above).
Rum Raisin Soufflé - Make recipe as above as above, omitting vanilla, substituting ½ cup chopped golden raisins for the candied fruit, increasing rum to ¼ cup or 1 to 2 teaspoons rum extract and adding 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
Join us on Facebook
Send your unopened, unexpired diabetes testing supplies to:
Defeat Diabetes Foundation