150 153rd Ave,
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
Classic Coconut Macaroons
Source: Sensational Stevia Desserts By Lisa Jobs
If you love macaroons you'll really love this low carb, low sugar version!
Number of servings: 30 cookies
Cook with kids
2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (or measure the equivalent of 2 ¼ to 2 ½ cups dried unprocessed, long coconut, see instructions below*)
1 cup instant nonfat dry milk
½ cup + 2 tablespoon boiling water
¾ teaspoon stevia extract**
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon coconut extract (optional for even more coconut taste!)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
**This stevia measurement is the minimum to use in the recipe. Since your sweetness preference and brand used may vary, you may need to increase accordingly. For your convenience, Sensational Stevia Desserts has a convenient chart with three stevia manufacturers’ measurements.
1. If your dried coconut is in long strands, place one cup at a time in food processor until it is shredded in pieces about ¼ " long. If it is already finely shredded, skip this step.
2. Add dry milk to coconut, stir and set aside.
3. Mix boiling water with stevia until dissolved.
4. Add vanilla, coconut extract and butter to water, stirring constantly, until butter melts.
5. With an electric mixer or hand mixer, combine coconut blend and butter mixture and beat on medium speed.
6. Cover mixture in large bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or even overnight if you choose.
7. When ready to bake, leave out for about 1 hour or simply microwave in microwave-safe bowl for 15 seconds. (This helps the butter become soft faster).
8. Preheat oven to 325° F, place parchment paper on cookie sheets or spray sheets with canola oil spray.
9. With your hands, roll small pieces of dough into balls, about 1" in diameter.
10. Arrange balls on cookie sheets.
11. Bake for 15 minutes or until cookie bottom is lightly golden in color. Macaroons will be soft inside so be careful not to over bake. Cookies will enlarge when baking and will measure approximately 1 ½ " in diameter when fully baked.
12. Cool on wire rack.
Optional: When cooled, dip half of each macaroon in chocolate or carob sauce. Place cookies on wax paper-lined cookie sheet and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Copyright ©2005 Sensational Stevia Desserts by Lisa Jobs
This SSD recipe and excerpt may not be reproduced or copied without the expressed written permission from HLP and the author.
Updated August 20, 2013
Join us on Facebook
Send your unopened, unexpired diabetes testing supplies to:
Defeat Diabetes Foundation