150 153rd Ave,
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
Source: 1,001 Delicious Desserts for People with Diabetes
by Sue Spitler with Linda Eugene, R.D., C.D.E., , and Linda R. Yoakam, R.D., M.S.
Think of flan as the best vanilla custard you've ever eaten with a yummy, runny caramel
Number of servings: 8
2/3 cup sugar, divided
4 cups fat-free milk
5 eggs lightly beaten
2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Heat 1/3 cup sugar in small skillet over medium-high heat until sugar melts and turns golden, stirring occasionally (watch carefully as the sugar can burn easily!)
2. Quickly pour syrup into bottom of 2-quart soufflé dish or casserole and tilt bottom to spread caramel. Set aside to cool.
3. Heat milk and remaining 1/3 cup sugar until steaming and just beginning to bubble at edges.
4. Slowly whisk milk into eggs.
5. Add vanilla.
6. Strain into mixture into soufflé dish over caramel.
7. Place soufflé dish in roasting pan on middle oven rack.
8. Pour 2 inches hot water into roasting pan.
9. Cover soufflé dish with lid or aluminum foil.
10. Bake at 350ºF one hour or until sharp knife inserted halfway between center and edge of custard comes out clean.
11. Remove soufflé dish from roasting pan and cool on wire rack.
12. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
13. To un-mold, loosen edge of custard with sharp knife.
14. Place rimmed serving dish over soufflé dish and invert.
Variation: Pumpkin Flan - Make flan as above, reducing milk to 2 cups, and mixing 1 cup canned pumpkin puree and 1 teaspoon cinnamon into milk mixture.
Join us on Facebook
Send your unopened, unexpired diabetes testing supplies to:
Defeat Diabetes Foundation