150 153rd Ave,
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
Source: Sensational Stevia Desserts By Lisa Jobs
These brownies are darker, more cake-like and richer than traditional chocolate brownies, but have all the health benefits of carob and none of the guilt from sugar or caffeine.
Number of Servings:Servings: 12
Kids love it!
2/3 cup unbleached flour
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Sift flour, carob powder, baking powder and salt; set aside.
3. Cut butter in small pieces, place in microwave-safe bowl and melt in microwave for about 30 seconds.
4. With an electric mixer, beat whole eggs and vanilla in a bowl.
5. Add butter and stevia and mix again. Scrape bowl periodically at bottom and sides to assure thorough mixing.
6. Heat milk in microwave for about 1 minute and add to butter mixture.
7. Place chips in a microwave-safe bowl and melt for about 30 to 40 seconds in microwave, mix thoroughly, and add to egg mixture.
8. Beat egg white to a soft peak and add to egg mixture.
9. Then add sifted ingredients to butter/egg mixture and mix until smooth.
10. Spread in a greased 8" square pan.
11. Add chopped walnuts on top pressing slightly into the dough.
12. Bake for about 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
1. Replace walnuts with 1/3 cup raisins or even chocolate chips. Or, frost with chocolate icing (see pages 9-10).
2. Omit vanilla extract and replace with ¼ tsp. peppermint extract.
*Lisa’s Note: The butter/egg mixture will not cream as it does in traditional sugar recipes, rather the butter will be separate from the eggs. However, it will incorporate when dry ingredients are added.
You can purchase unsweetened carob chips from natural foods grocers or health food stores. Whole Foods Market currently carries Sunspire Unsweetened Carob Chips. They are all natural with no sugar added. You can also call for more information (510-686-0116).
Also, carob has valuable health benefits and some people may want to avoid chocolate due to caffeine and cholesterol content.
Copyright ©2005 Sensational Stevia Desserts by Lisa Jobs
This SSD recipe and excerpt may not be reproduced or copied without the expressed written permission from HLP and the author.
Updated August 16, 2013
Join us on Facebook
Send your unopened, unexpired diabetes testing supplies to:
Defeat Diabetes Foundation