150 153rd Ave,
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
Almond Pound Cake with Vanilla Icing
Source: Sensational Stevia Desserts By Lisa Jobs
This recipe boasts one half the calories, one third of the fat and carbohydrates and 1/17 of the sugar in a traditional pound cake recipe. This cake has a crusty top that is atypical of most pound cakes, but it sure is scrumptious nonetheless!
Number of servings: 12
2 cups unbleached flour
1/3 cup unsweetened, natural applesauce
Make sure ingredients are at room temperature.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Spray a loaf cake pan with canola oil spray. Remove excess spray by wiping pan with paper towel and then flour pan.
3. Sift flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
4. Measure applesauce and place in strainer with bowl underneath. Let juice drain out of applesauce for a few minutes. Set aside or discard juice and keep drained applesauce.
5. Beat butter with electric mixer until blended well.
6. Beat in eggs and egg white one at a time. (The mixture will not “cream” as it does in traditional sugar recipes, rather the butter will be separate from the eggs. However, it will incorporate when dry ingredients are added.)
7. Add stevia and dry milk to egg mixture. Scrape sides of bowl to assure thorough mixing.
8. Heat yogurt in microwave for 15 seconds.
9. Mix yogurt, applesauce and almond extract. Remove about half of liquid mixture from mixing bowl and set aside.
10. Divide dry ingredients into thirds in a large bowl.
11. Place first third of dry ingredients in another bowl. With electric mixer on medium-high speed, mix first third of dry ingredients with half of liquid ingredients. Scrape sides of bowl for better incorporation.
12. Mix in second third of dry ingredients and scrape sides of bowl again. Add the remaining half of liquid ingredients. Mix for about 30 seconds.
13. Add last third of flour mixture to the bowl and mix for about 30 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl again. Be sure not to over mix.
14. Pour batter into pan and smooth top of batter with a knife.
15. Bake in bottom oven rack for 20 minutes.
16. After 20 minutes, place a cookie sheet on top rack to protect top of cake from getting too dark. Bake another 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
17. Cool cake before removing from pan.
18. Frost with desired icing (see Versatile Vanilla Icing recipe below) or cut in small pieces and dip in carob or chocolate fondue (see page 61) or fruit fondue (see Page 64).
**This stevia amount listed is the minimum to use in the recipe. Since your sweetness preference and brand used may vary, you may want to add up to 2 ¾ tsp. stevia extract.
What a substantial difference in calories, carbs, sugar and fat!
Variation: Lemon Pound Cake
Versatile Vanilla Icing
Makes enough to spread on a large pound cake or one layer cake.
3 tablespoons 2% milk
½ teaspoon stevia extract**
1 ½ tablespoon. vanilla extract
1 ½ packages. (12 oz.) cream cheese, softened
**This stevia measurement is the minimum to use in the recipe. Since your sweetness preference and brand used may vary, you may need to increase accordingly. For your convenience, Sensational Stevia Desserts has a convenient chart with three stevia manufacturers’ measurements.
1. Stir milk, stevia and vanilla in a small bowl until stevia dissolves and is mixed thoroughly.
2. Add this to cream cheese in a larger bowl and mix ingredients with hand mixer until smooth and fluffy.
3. Spread immediately on cakes or other dessert. Will keep in fridge for 3 days
Copyright ©2005 Sensational Stevia Desserts by Lisa Jobs
This SSD recipe and excerpt may not be reproduced or copied without the expressed written permission from HLP and the author.
Join us on Facebook
Send your unopened, unexpired diabetes testing supplies to:
Defeat Diabetes Foundation