150 153rd Ave,
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
Pumpkin, Potato and Leek Soup Source: Meals Matter
Creamy soup with autumn flavors. Great starter for Thanksgiving, Halloween or fall dinner party.
Number of Servings: 4
Good Source of Calcium
1 lb pumpkin or squash
White part of 2 leeks, rinsed thoroughly
2 medium potatoes
1 1/2 cups water
Salt, to taste
1 tablespoon parsley
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream, milk or half and half
Fresh grated nutmeg
1. Cube and peel uncooked pumpkin.
2. Cut leeks in pieces. Peel and cut potatoes.
3. Combine pumpkin, leeks, potatoes, water and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes until veggies are tender.
5. Puree veggies in food processor with liquid.
6. Return to pan. Bring to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Stir in milk, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes.
8. Stir in cream and simmer, add white pepper, nutmeg and salt if needed.
9. Soup may be refrigerated covered for 1 day before serving.
10. Put chopped parsley on top before serving.
Reduce the prep time by substituting canned pumpkin or sweet potatoes.
Total Fat: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 7.2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 45 g
Protein: 7 g
Sodium: 214 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Updated August 2, 2013
Join us on Facebook
Send your unopened, unexpired diabetes testing supplies to:
Defeat Diabetes Foundation