150 153rd Ave,
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
Pomegranate-Honey Roasted Game HensSource: Pomegranate Council
Pomegranate juice adds flavor and color to these spicy, honey-kissed holiday hens.
Easy to prepare
1 cup fresh pomegranate juice
1/2 cup and 3 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 cloves garlic, smashed
3 game hens, split in half
Salt and Pepper
Pomegranate seeds for garnish
Chopped, roasted pistachio nuts for garnish
1. For 1 cup of juice, put 1-1/2 to 2 cups of seeds in a blender; blend until liquefied.
2. Pour mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve.
3. Mix pomegranate juice, 1/2 cup honey, and next 5 ingredients.
4. Pour over hens.
5. Marinate, covered, overnight or at least 8 hours in the refrigerator. Turn occasionally.
6. Drain hens, reserving marinade.
7. Simmer marinade, covered for 10 minutes; reserve.
8. Season hens with salt and pepper.
9. Bake at 450 degrees F, basting frequently with reserved marinade, until hens are just firm to the touch, about 25 minutes.
10. Remove from oven; let rest covered with a tea towel for 5 minutes.
11. Brush each half with 1/2 tablespoon honey.
12. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and chopped pistachios.
Cholesterol: 168.5 mg
Protein: 29 g
Carbohydrates: 5.3 g
Fat: 23 g
Updated August 1, 2013
Join us on Facebook
Send your unopened, unexpired diabetes testing supplies to:
Defeat Diabetes Foundation