150 153rd Ave,
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
Source: Meals Matter; Martha Stewart Kids Magazine
A good way to sneak in vegetables for a snack or appetizer!
Number of Servings: Makes 3 dozen
Kids can help make it
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup cottage cheese
2 cups fresh shelled peas or one 10-oz package frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup heavy cream
8 cups canola oil
1. Sift together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and paprika into a medium mixing bowl.
2. Pour eggs into flour mixture, and whisk to combine thoroughly.
3. Fold in cottage cheese and peas.
4. In another medium mixing bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form, and fold into flour and egg mixture.
5. In a large skillet, heat canola oil until a deep fry thermometer registers 360.
6. Drop dough 1 heaping tablespoon at a time into hot oil and fry about 3 minutes, turning as needed, until golden all over and cooked through.
7. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a large paper towel lined plate; sprinkle with salt while still hot, and let cool slightly before serving.
Also, if using fresh peas, blanch them in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes, then drain well and pat dry before adding to batter. Thawed frozen peas can be added without additional cooking.
Total Fat: 44 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 13 g
Carbohydrates: 3 g
Protein: 2 g
Vitamin A: 101 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 15 mg
Sodium: 82 mg
Iron: 0 mg
Fiber: 0 g
Updated August 1, 2013
Join us on Facebook
Send your unopened, unexpired diabetes testing supplies to:
Defeat Diabetes Foundation