150 153rd Ave,
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
Hot and Sour Soup
Source: Meals Matter, DCC; American Heart Association
A delicious and healthy version of this soup.
Number of Servings: 8
Quick to Prepare (under 30 minutes)
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup Cornstarch
3 tablespoon water
1 cup thinly sliced green cabbage or bok choy (about 3oz)
1 cup sliced fresh shiitake, cloud ears, or other mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced green onions (about 6 green onions)
2 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1/2 lb firm reduced-fat tofu, cut into strips
1 cup white wine vinegar or to taste
1 tbsp Black pepper or to taste (freshly ground preferred)
Egg substitute equivalent to 2 Eggs, or 2 eggs lightly beaten
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1. Mix the cornstarch with the water in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Bring broth to a boil in a large stockpot over high heat.
3. Add the cabbage, mushrooms, green onions, soy sauce, and gingerroot to the boiling broth.
4. When the broth mixture returns to a boil, stir in the cornstarch mixture.
5. Let the mixture boil for about 3 minutes.
6. Add the tofu strips, vinegar, and pepper. Taste and add more pepper or vinegar if desired. 7. Reduce heat to simmer.
8. Slowly drizzle the egg into the simmering soup, stirring gently.
9. Remove from the heat, stir in the sesame oil, and serve.
Total Fat: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g
Carbohydrates: 11 g
Protein: 8 g
Sodium: 297 mg
Fiber: 1. 4 g
Updated July 30, 2013
Join us on Facebook
Send your unopened, unexpired diabetes testing supplies to:
Defeat Diabetes Foundation