150 153rd Ave,
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
Source: Meals Matter
A holiday favorite in Italy, Panettone is a light and airy sweet bread with candied fruit.
Number of Servings: 12
2 packages rapid rise yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup egg substitute
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 cups all-purpose flour (divided)
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped citron (candied lemon, usually found with baking
products or dried fruits)
1/2 cup candied fruit
2 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl.
2. Stir in sugar, butter, egg substitute, salt, lemon peel, vanilla and 2 1/2 cups flour.
3. Beat until smooth.
4. Stir in raisins, 1/4 cup citron, 1/4 cup candied fruits and nuts.
5. Gradually add enough flour to make a soft dough.
6. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and gently roll in flour to coat.
7. Knead about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
8. Place dough in a bowl sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and turn to coat both sides.
9. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours or until an indentation remains when
10. Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with a 1 1/2-inch edge with nonstick spray.
11. Punch down dough and divide in half.
12. Shape each half into a round loaf about 6 inches in diameter.
13. Place each loaf into a cake pan.
14. Cut two strips of heavy brown paper (a paper grocery bag works great) that are 25-inches long and 4-inches wide.
15. Generously spray one side of each piece of paper with nonstick cooking spray.
16. Fit the paper on the inside of the pan (sprayed side in), forming a collar around the dough.
17. Fasten with a paper clip to hold.
18. Repeat with second pan and piece of paper.
19. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
20. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
21. Divide the remaining citron and candied fruit and nuts in half and place on top of each loaf.
22. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown.
23. Remove from pan and place on a wire rack. Remove paper collars and allow to cool. Gently sliceeach loaf into 12 pieces using a serrated knife.
Total Fat: 3
Carbohydrates: 31 grams
Protein: 4 grams
Sodium: 159 mg
Fiber: 1 gram
Updated July 30, 2013
Join us on Facebook
Send your unopened, unexpired diabetes testing supplies to:
Defeat Diabetes Foundation