150 153rd Ave,
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
Fresh Tomato Soup Au Gratin
Source: Meals Matter; Dairy Council
This soup perfectly captures the taste of tomatoes in season and goes well with homemade croutons
Number of Servings: 4
Quick to prepare
Simple (6 ingredients or less)
Good Source of Calcium
1 teaspoon butter
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
5 cups chopped seeded tomato (about 2 3/4 lbs)
2 cups low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash of black pepper
1 clove garlic, cut in half
2 (1 oz) slices diagonally cut French bread (about 1 inch thick)
1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded reduced-fat Monterey jack or reduced-fat, reduced-sodium Swiss cheese (such as Alpine Lace)
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add onion; saute 3 minutes.
3. Add tomato; cook covered, over medium heat 10 minutes. Uncover; cook until mixture is reduced to 2 cups (about 25 minutes), stirring occasionally.
4. Place the tomato mixture in a blended, and process until smooth.
5. Combine the tomato mixture, milk, salt and pepper in pan, and cook mixture over medium-low heat 2 minutes or until heated.
1. To prepare croutons, rub cut sides of garlic over both sides of each bread slice
2. Place bread on a baking sheet. Broil 30 seconds on each side or until toasted.
3. Cut each slice in half crosswise.
4. Place 1 cup soup in each of 4 oven-proof bowls
5. Top each serving with 1 crouton and 2 tbsp cheese.
6. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Total Fat: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5 g
Carbohydrates: 25 g
Protein: 11 g
Vitamin A: 2345 IU
Vitamin C: 30 mg
Calcium: 279 mg
Sodium: 570 mg
Iron: 1.2 mg
Fiber: 3.2 g
Updated July 26, 2013
Join us on Facebook
Send your unopened, unexpired diabetes testing supplies to:
Defeat Diabetes Foundation