150 153rd Ave,
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
Chicken & Spiced Apples
Source: MealsMatter.org; Eating Well Cookbook
The apples and cinnamon give this easy to prepare chicken dish, a special warmth.
Quick to Prepare (under 30 minutes)
2 apples, preferably Brae-burn, peeled and thinly sliced
1. Toss apple slices with lemon juice and cinnamon in a small bowl.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil and 1 teaspoon butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add the apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Keep warm.
4. Mix 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence, salt and pepper.
5. Place chicken between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or the bottom of a small saucepan to a 1/2-inch thickness.
6. Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with the seasoning mixture.
7. Heat 1 teaspoon oil and 1 teaspoon butter in a large skillet over high heat.
8. Add half the chicken and cook until no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
9. Remove to a platter and keep warm.
10. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and 1 teaspoon butter to the skillet; heat over high heat. Cook the remaining chicken in the same manner.
11. Add broth, lemon zest, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon herbs and any accumulated juices from the chicken to the skillet.
12. Cook, stirring to scrape up any browned bits, until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes.
13. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve with sauteed apples.
* Cook's Notes
Herbs de Provence is a mixture of dried herbs commonly used in the south of France. You can find commercial mixtures in specialty stores, but it is easy to make your own. Mix 1 tablespoon each (or equal proportions) dried thyme, rosemary, oregano, marjoram and savory in a small jar. If desired, add a pinch of dried lavender and crushed aniseed.
Updated July 22, 2013
Join us on Facebook
Send your unopened, unexpired diabetes testing supplies to:
Defeat Diabetes Foundation