Roasted Pearl Onions with Cranberries
Author: Diabetes Comfort Food by Johanna Burkhard
Recipe type: Vegetables
- 1 package or pint baskets (10.oz. each) pearl onions
- ½ cup fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup ruby Port wine
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 T butter, cut into bits
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch onions for 2 minutes.
- Drain; run under cold water.
- Remove stem ends and skins.
- Place in a large, shallow baking dish large enough to hold onions in a single layer.
- Add cranberries, port, brown sugar and rosemary.
- Dot with butter and season with pepper.
- Roast in preheated 375ºF oven, stirring occasionally, for about 35 minutes or until onions are tender and sauce is reduced and slightly thickened.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Calories: 105 Fat: 3g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 18g Sodium: 35mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 2g Cholesterol: 8mg