Roasted Pear and Winter Squash Soup with Parmesan Croutons
Author: Courtesy of Pear Bureau Northwest
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
This rich and sweet soup is perfect for a fall day. Vegetarian.
- 2 pounds delicata squash or butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 firm but ripe Anjou or Bartlett pears, cut in half lengthwise and cored
- 4 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy (whipping) cream
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush the flesh of the squash and pears with olive oil and place, cut side down, on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast until tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Use a spoon to scrape out the flesh of the squash and pears, and put in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade.Discard the skins.
- Puree until smooth.
- Add 1 to 2 cups of the chicken broth and continue processing until smooth.
- Put this mixture in a 3 ½-to 4-quart saucepan, add the remaining chicken broth, cream, nutmeg, and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the bread cubes in a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the olive oil over
- Add the Parmesan, and toss the bread cubes until thoroughly coated.
- Spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until toasty brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Set aside until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, ladle the soup into a warmed soup tureen or individual soup bowls, garnish with the croutons, and serve immediately.
Calories: 170 Fat: 12g Saturated fat: 5.25g Carbohydrates: 26.4g Sugar: 8.6g Fiber: 2g Protein: 3.25g