Rigatoni, Grilled Vegetables and Chicken Salad
Author: Meals Matter, DCC Dairy Council of California
Recipe type: Salads
Dazzle your guests and your family with this classic Italian eggplant, chicken and pasta dish! Kids can help make it! Make ahead; Low sodium; High fiber.
- 1 Small eggplant, stem trimmed, halved and cut into 6 lengthwise wedges
- 1 Medium red or sweet onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 Small zucchini, scrubbed, trimmed, quartered lengthwise
- 1 Medium carrot, trimmed, pared and quartered, lengthwise
- 1 Red and 1 green bell pepper, stems and seeds removed, quartered
- 3 Garlic cloves, peeled and crushed through a press
- ¼ cup Plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Italian (flat leaf) parsley
- 1 teaspoon Fresh thyme leaves, stripped from the stems
- 1 box (16 ozs.) rigatoni
- 4 Grilled, broiled or roasted cut-in half chicken breasts, skin and bone removed, cut into ½-inch strips
- ¼ cup Pitted and coarsely chopped Kalamata olives
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, to taste
- To grill, broil or oven roast the vegetables:
- Combine the eggplant, onion, zucchini, carrot, peppers, garlic, ¼ cup of the olive oil, and salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Arrange vegetables on rack or on broiler pan and cook, turning to brown evenly; remove vegetables to platter or cutting board as they become tender, 5 to 15 minutes.
- To oven roast: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange the vegetables on a large (11 x 14-inch) baking pan, preferably with a nonstick coating. Bake 35 to 45 minutes; turn vegetables after 20 minutes so that they brown evenly.
- When the vegetables are cool enough to handle, cut into 1-inch pieces; add the parsley and thyme; set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions in plenty of boiling salted water until firm to the bite. Ladle out about ½ cup of the pasta-cooking water and reserve. Remove from the heat and add 1 cup cold water to stop cooking; drain.
- Toss pasta with the roasted vegetables, the chicken and olives; add pasta-cooking water, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and cheese. Serve at room temperature.
Calories: 554 Fat: 17g Saturated fat: 3g Unsaturated fat: 2.2g Carbohydrates: 68g Sodium: 119mg Fiber: 6.2 Protein: 30g