Potato Crusted Salmon with Carrot Apple Puree
Author: Meals Matter; DCC (Dairy Council of California)
Recipe type: Entrees
Rich in omega fatty acids, salmon should be on your must eat list once a week. This recipe has a great crunchy twist. Quick to Prepare (under 30 minutes); High Fiber.
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 golden delicious apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon curry powder
- Pinch ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless salmon fillet (6 ounces each)
- 2 large all-purpose potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat 3 cups water to boiling over high heat.
- Add carrots, apple, onion; heat to boiling. Boil 5-7 minutes, until carrots are tender.
- Drain vegetable mixture, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid.
- In a blender at high speed, with center part of cover removed, blend cooked vegetable mixture, reserved cooking liquid, butter, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon of pepper until pureed.
- Return carrot-apple puree to saucepan; keep warm.
- In small bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, curry, ground red pepper, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and remaining ⅛ teaspoon black pepper.
- Peel and grate potatoes.
- Brush yogurt mixture over the top and bottom (not cut sides) of each salmon fillet.
- Press shredded potatoes onto salmon over yogurt mixture.
- Heat olive oil in nonstick 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add potato-crusted salmon and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side, until golden brown and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Serve salmon with carrot-apple puree.
Calories: 649 Fat: 32g Saturated fat: 8g Unsaturated fat: 5g Carbohydrates: 38g Sodium: 493mg Fiber: 4.7 Protein: 50g