Pomegranate Honey Roasted Game Hens
Author: Pomegranate Council
Recipe type: Entrees
Pomegranate juice adds flavor and color to these spicy, honey-kissed holiday hens. Easy to prepare.
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate juice
- ½ cup and 3 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 game hens, split in half
- Salt and Pepper
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Chopped, roasted pistachio nuts for garnish
- For 1 cup of juice, put 1-1/2 to 2 cups of seeds in a blender; blend until liquefied.
- Pour mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve.
- Mix pomegranate juice, ½ cup honey, and next 5 ingredients.
- Pour over hens.
- Marinate, covered, overnight or at least 8 hours in the refrigerator. Turn occasionally.
- Drain hens, reserving marinade.
- Simmer marinade, covered for 10 minutes; reserve.
- Season hens with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 450 degrees F, basting frequently with reserved marinade, until hens are just firm to the touch, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let rest covered with a tea towel for 5 minutes.
- Brush each half with ½ tablespoon honey.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds and chopped pistachios.
Fat: 23g Carbohydrates: 5.3g Protein: 29g Cholesterol: 168.5 mg