Penne with Broccoli Rabe and Cannellini
Author: Meals Matter
Recipe type: Entrees
Simple (6 ingredients or less)
- 1 lb. Broccoli rabe
- 1 14 oz. Can cannellini beans, juice reserved
- 1 lb. Penne pasta
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled and sliced crosswise
- 2 t. Olive oil
- Asiago cheese, grated (adds more sodium)
- (can use another type of Italian hard cheese, if desired)
- Trim large stems from broccoli rabe.
- Cut crosswise into bite-size pieces (about 2 inches long), rinse and place rabe in large pot.
- Add water to about half the height of the rabe, salt, bring to a boil and blanche until rabe reaches desired tenderness (up to 5 minutes).
- Remove rabe with slotted spoon, reserving water.
- Add enough water for pasta and return pot to stove to bring to boil.
- Meanwhile, in a 2 qt. saucepan heat olive oil and add garlic, cooking until fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- Add juice from cannellini beans, cracked pepper and simmer on medium heat a few minutes until sauce begins to thicken.
- Add beans and continue simmering a few more minutes.
- Add chopped rabe to bean mixture.
- Cook for a few more minutes, or until desired tenderness.
- When pasta is cooked, drain and put in large serving bowl.
- Add rabe-cannellini mix and top with grated asiago cheese. Yum!
This is a nutritious, quick and hearty meatless meal that can be tailored to individual tastes.
Calories: 637 Fat: 10g Saturated fat: 2g Unsaturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 113g Sodium: 63mg Fiber: 11g Protein: 26g