Mushroom Barley Pilaf
Author: America’s Complete Diabetes Cookbook Edited by Katherine E. Younker, MBA, RD, Certified Diabetes Educator
Recipe type: Side Dishes – Carbs
- 1 T margarine or butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ tsp. dried thyme or marjoram leaves
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 2½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ⅓ cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 T chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, onion and thyme, cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in barley and stock, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally and adding more stock if necessary, for 30 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Stir in walnuts, Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Calories: 222 Fat: 8g Saturated fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 30g Sodium: 405mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 9g Cholesterol: 8mg