Mushroom and Spinach Quiche
Author: Meals Matter Vegetarian Times
Recipe type: Entrees
Save time by preparing this comforting dish 24-48 hours ahead of time.
- 2 tbs Olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1½ cups thinly sliced mushroom caps
- 3 cups firmly packed baby spinach
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk whole or reduced-fat
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp Ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1½ cups grated Gruyere cheese
- Prepare Basic Pie Pastry, and set aside to rest 10 minutes.
- Grease 9½ inch deep-dish pie pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll pastry into 12-inch circle between two sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap. Peel off top sheet; invert pastry over pie pan,
- Peel off second sheet, then tuck pastry into pan without stretching it, pinching overhang into an even edge.
- Chill 15 minutes.
- Smooth sheet of aluminum foil over pastry; fill with dried beans or rice; bake 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven; lift foil with beans from pan.
- Using fork, pierce pastry 6-8 times. Reduce oven to 375 degrees, and bake 7 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack. Leave oven on.
- To make filling: Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; cover and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in spinach and garlic; cover, and cook 2-3 minutes to melt cheese.
- Spread vegetable mixture in pastry shell. Sprinkle with half of remaining cheese. Slowly pour in egg mixture, then sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly puffy. Transfer to wire rack, and let cool 15 minutes before serving.
Calories: 386 Fat: 27g Saturated fat: 6.5g Carbohydrates: 24g Sodium: 353mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 13g