Layered Taco Salad
Author: Cook Once, Eat For A Week by Jyl Steinback, America’s Healthiest Mom
Recipe type: Lunch
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
- 1½ cups diced tomato
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups Southwest-style salsa, divided
- 4 oz. can chopped green chiles
- 1¼ oz. envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup shredded nonfat cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup water
- 6 oz. baked tortilla chips
- 6 cups shredded lettuce
- Spray medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium high heat.
- Add beef, breaking into small pieces; sprinkle with onion powder and garlic powder.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until beef is browned; drain well.
- Add 1 cup salsa, taco seasoning and water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove beef mixture from heat and cool to room temperature. (Beef mixture can be frozen or refrigerated at this point until ready to serve.)
- In a large glass bowl, layer lettuce, tomato, carrots, onion, bell pepper and green chiles.
- Top with beef mixture and shredded cheese. Pour remaining salsa over salad.
- Sprinkle with crumbled baked tortilla chips and serve.
Calories: 197 Fat: 2.6g Carbohydrates: 22g Sodium: 1149mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 24g Cholesterol: 60mg