Having diabetes can make you sick in other ways too. That’s because diabetes can harm almost every other part of your body. With most of these complications of diabetes it takes many years for them to become a problem. But they can be serious, even life threatening. The best way to avoid them is to take good care of yourself the minute that you find out you have diabetes.
- The Pancreas is the organ that manufactures insulin and is the first to be affected.
- Diabetes can also harm the eyes and causes people to go blind every year.
- The kidneys can also be harmed and it can even cause them to fail completely!
- It can affect your heart and make you more likely to have a heart attack later in life.
- It can affect your brain and make it more likely for you to have a stroke (like a heart attack but in your brain) or even get another disease called Alzheimer’s that makes you forget stuff including friends and family. You might have a grandparent that suffers from Alzheimer’s.
- It can affect the nerves in your body and make different parts hurt or tingle all the time.
- Your ears can be damaged and as many as 4 in 10 people with diabetes may suffer hearing loss.
- You may also get gum disease and could even lose adult teeth.
- You may have to have an amputation (cutting off toes, fingers or even feet and legs!)
- It decreases your life span by 10 – 15 years
Take the 2 Minute Defeat Diabetes® Screening Test