Why It’s Good for You
- Builds muscle strength
- Builds a healthy heart
- Burns calories
- Builds stamina
Learning the basics
- Lightly hold the handles near the rope.
- Keep your shoulders relaxed and your elbows close to your body. Keep your back straight and head up (no looking at your feet!).
- Bend your knees a little.
- Turn the rope just fast enough to keep it moving in an arc over your head. When it comes down towards the floor, spring off the balls of your feet just high enough so that your feet clear the rope.
- Land the same way on the balls of your feet so that your muscles share the impact along with your ankles, knees and hips.
- Work on developing rhythm when you jump so it sounds like a steady drum beat.
Once you learn how to jump, you can try some tricks, such as crossing your arms or getting the rope to pass under your feet twice in every jump or try these jump rope variations
Below are a few crazy jump rope videos to get you inspired!
Jump Rope Rhythm and Rhymes
Here are some jump rope rhymes that you can use to keep you in step.