Jumbo Asparagus, Papaya, Shrimp and Pasta Salad
Author: Courtesy of California Asparagus Commission
Recipe type: Entrees
This is a light dish perfect for a summer dinner. Make ahead; Low calorie; Low sodium.
- 1 lb. jumbo asparagus
- 1 medium papaya halved, seeded and peeled.
- ⅓ cup light sour cream
- ¼ cup papaya or mango nectar
- 1½ tablespoon bottled mango chutney
- Grated peel of ½ lemon
- 6 oz. dry Fusilli, Rotelle or other curly pasta, cooked, rinsed and drained (about 3 cups cooked).
- ⅓ lb. small shelled and cooked shrimp
- ¼ cup green onions
- 8 Boston or bibb lettuce leaves
- Trim or break off Jumbo Asparagus spears at the tender point and rinse.
- In a large skillet, cook Asparagus until crisp-tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Chill and set aside 12 spears
- Cut remaining Asparagus into 1 inch pieces.
- Remove seeds and cut half of papaya into eight 12 thin, lengthwise slices – chill.
- Cut remaining half into bite-size pieces.
- In large bowl, combine sour cream, nectar, chutney and lemon peel.
- Add cooled pasta, mix well.
- Stir in Asparagus and papaya pieces, shrimp and green onions.
- Chill briefly.
- To serve, spoon pasta mixture on lettuce leaves and arrange papaya and Asparagus spears. Garnish with lemon twists or wedges and fresh mint, if desired.
Cooking time includes cooking pasta.
Calories: 295 Fat: 3.7g Carbohydrates: 49.9g Sodium: 193mg Fiber: 5.6g Protein: 17.3g Cholesterol: 80mg