Italian Pasta Salad
Author: Diabetes Comfort Food by Johanna Burkhard
Recipe type: Salads
An easy pasta salad with a touch of salty goodness. Low cholesterol.
- 8 oz pasta, such as fusilli or penne
- 4 oz light provolone cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered, if large
- ⅓ cup diced red onions
- ½ large red bell pepper, cut into thin 1½ inch strips
- ⅓ cup Kalamata olives (optional)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Dressing Ingredients:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm. Drain; rinse under cold water and drain well.
- In a large serving bowl, combine pasta, cheese cubes, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, olives and parsley.
- Dressing: In a bowl, combine oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over pasta mixture; toss until well-coated.
- Let stand at room temperature for up to 30 minutes, allowing flavors to blend. Refrigerate if making ahead.
Calories: 305 Fat: 13g Saturated fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 36g Sodium: 375mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 12g Cholesterol: 6mg