Hot Spiced Wine
Author: Meals Matter
Recipe type: Beverages
Hot and spicy are the key words here and they have nothing to do with serving the wine warmed. Strictly for adults! Easy to prepare; Make ahead.
- 1 (1.5-liter) bottle dry white or red wine *see cook’s notes
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 5 cloves crushed
- 5 black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 (1/2 inch) piece peeled ginger root, thinly sliced
- Pour ½ cup wine from bottle (just enough to allow room to add the other ingredients to bottle); reserve for another use.
- Gradually add sugar to bottle through a funnel, and add remaining ingredients.
- Recap bottle, and shake vigorously.
- Chill overnight.
- Strain through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into a 2-quart pitcher.
Don’t use this with your most expensive bottle, but it should at least be palatable. A drier wine will get better results with the added sugar.
Calories: 136 Fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 12.9g Sodium: 6mg Protein: 0.1g