Hot and Sour Soup
Author: Meals Matter, DCC; American Heart Association
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
A delicious and healthy version of this soup. Quick to Prepare (under 30 minutes); Vegetarian; Low Calorie; Low Fat.
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 3 tablespoon water
- 1 cup thinly sliced green cabbage or bok choy (about 3oz)
- 1 cup sliced fresh shiitake, cloud ears, or other mushrooms
- ½ cup sliced green onions (about 6 green onions)
- 2 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- ½ lb firm reduced-fat tofu, cut into strips
- 1 cup white wine vinegar or to taste
- 1 tbsp Black pepper or to taste (freshly ground preferred)
- Egg substitute equivalent to 2 Eggs, or 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Mix the cornstarch with the water in a small bowl; set aside.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large stockpot over high heat.
- Add the cabbage, mushrooms, green onions, soy sauce, and ginger root to the boiling broth.
- When the broth mixture returns to a boil, stir in the cornstarch mixture.
- Let the mixture boil for about 3 minutes.
- Add the tofu strips, vinegar, and pepper. Taste and add more pepper or vinegar if desired.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Slowly drizzle the egg into the simmering soup, stirring gently.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the sesame oil, and serve.
Calories: 111 Fat: 3g Saturated fat: 1g Unsaturated fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 11g Sodium: 297mg Fiber: 1.4g Protein: 8g