Author: Meals Matter
Recipe type: Breads
A holiday favorite in Italy, Panettone is a light and airy sweet bread with candied fruit.
- 2 packages rapid rise yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 cups all-purpose flour (divided)
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup chopped citron (candied lemon, usually found with baking
- products or dried fruits)
- ½ cup candied fruit
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl.
- Stir in sugar, butter, egg substitute, salt, lemon peel, vanilla and 2½ cups flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in raisins, ¼ cup citron, ¼ cup candied fruits and nuts.
- Gradually add enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and gently roll in flour to coat.
- Knead about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a bowl sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and turn to coat both sides.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours or until an indentation remains when touched.
- Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with a 1½-inch edge with nonstick spray.
- Punch down dough and divide in half.
- Shape each half into a round loaf about 6 inches in diameter.
- Place each loaf into a cake pan.
- Cut two strips of heavy brown paper (a paper grocery bag works great) that are 25-inches long and 4-inches wide.
- Generously spray one side of each piece of paper with nonstick cooking spray.
- Fit the paper on the inside of the pan (sprayed side in), forming a collar around the dough.
- Fasten with a paper clip to hold.
- Repeat with second pan and piece of paper.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Divide the remaining citron and candied fruit and nuts in half and place on top of each loaf.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and place on a wire rack. Remove paper collars and allow to cool.
- Gently slice each loaf into 12 pieces using a serrated knife.
Calories: 163 Fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 31g Sodium: 159mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 4g