Hearty Chicken Stew
Author: Meals Matter American Heart Association
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 2 pounds Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, rinsed, patted dry with paper towels, and all visible fat removed
- 1 tablespoon acceptable vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, or 1½ teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 8 to 10 peppercorns, or to taste
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces small red or white potatoes, scrubbed and unpeeled
- 12 ounces Baby carrots, fresh or no-salt-added frozen
- 6 ounces green peas, fresh or no-salt-added frozen (about 1 to 1¼ cup)
- Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
- In a deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion, ginger root, and garlic until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Tie peppercorns, cloves, and cinnamon in a small piece of cheesecloth.
- Add cheesecloth package, chicken, water, and Worcestershire sauce to onion mixture.
- Stir. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and peas. Simmer, covered, until cooked, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove cheesecloth package.
Calories: 228 Fat: 5g Saturated fat: 1g Unsaturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 18g Sodium: 123mg Protein: 27g Cholesterol: 62mg