Healthy Potato and Cheese Chowder
Author: Meals Matter; Favorite Brand Name Diabetic Cooking
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Even though potatoes are usually “off” the list when it comes to diabetic friendly, when combined with other ingredients it reduces the glycemic load. Leave the skins on for extra nutrients. Quick to prepare.
- 3 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1½ cups canned fat free, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 rib celery, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1½ cups fat-free (skim) milk
- ¾ cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Oyster crackers (optional)
- Combine potatoes, broth, carrots and celery in medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large saucepan over low heat.
- Add green onions. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until tender but not brown.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook and stir 1 minutes.
- Stir in milk and potato mixture; cook over medium heat until bubbly, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Serve with oyster crackers, if desired.
Calories: 215 Fat: 9g Saturated fat: 6g Carbohydrates: 23g Sodium: 413 Protein: 10g